skip to content »

Encountered error 1635 while updating

1986 moved to the Finance Division and became Senior Financial Accountant in various regions. In 1993 he returned to sea and sailed as Chief Occier with a Dutch coasting company for a few months. After two years, in which they managed to avoid doing each other serious injury, Peter and Mike parted company on the best of terms. Its very exciting as we own 11 Ships which are named African Eagle/Falcon all birds and we have about 40 Ships on Charter world wide at anyone time.”After Bothie returned to Johannesburg where he worked for the municipality and qualifeid as a motor mechanic. Joined the Royal Navy during the early days on the war serving on board H. Norm built a house at Caves Beach, Newcastle, NSW (very like Fish Hoek). Fate, however, intervened in the form of Peggy’s illness and Bill personally undertook the care of the love of his life for almost three years at Nazareth House Port Elizabeth until her passing. Subsequently started own manufacturing and mail order company which was sold in 1995. When I had accumulated enough sea time for Masters, I signed on the Warwick Castle as a Quartermaster to work a passage to the UK. Was Port Captain for about two years until he retired in 1987. 1986 rejoined Unicorn Lines and obtained Master’s Certificate in 1992. Later same year formed own marine surveying company, Master Marine Survey. Lawhill, three voyages including rounding Cape Horn. Thereafter spent two years at the Kalk Bay Bible Institute preparing for missionary work. During WWII served in mine disposal and on midget submarines. Son of Fernand Joseph Cauvin and Sarah, nee Marshall. After passing his Mate’s Certificate was appoitned Third Officer, MV Derbyshire. In 2010 I started a business in the Green packaging technologies (Earthly Directions Eco Pack (Pty) Ltd) known as Eco Pack which is now flourishing.

He was with DOAL (German East Africa Line) before joining Nedlloyd. May 1943 joined the Royal Navy as a Special Entry Cadet. 1945 flew out to India to become involved in trooping flights between Karachi and Chakulia. Thereafter he went to England and joiend the Royal Navy fleet Air Arm. Served Cadetship with Southern Steamships before joining the British Merchant Navy and served with various companies. In spite of that managed to pass Masters and worked a passage back to Cape Town as ordinary seaman on the Athlone Castle Shortly thereafter, Safmarine acquired four more ships. Decorations: Chief of Defence Force recommendation. Son of Victor Charles Carter and Rosina Letitia nee Dicks. He then joined the RNR, was afterward transferred to the SANFUR, and on 28 November 1942 was reported missing, presumed killed, in the loss of the Greek submarine Triton.1978 joined the S. 1994 joined P&I Associates as Marine Surveyor and was later promtoed to P&I Operations Manager, Durban. 1947 joined Safmarine and was Third Officer on the S. Appointed to Blue Funnel Lines and granted midshipman R. I am really enjoying my time back home and having fun with business! Son of William Evan Clark and Eleanor Evelyn; ed Mansfield Road School, Durban; cadet draft 1925/26. His career moved from the then Transvaal to Mossel Bay from where he opened and ran various companies extending to both Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. in 1975 to accept a position with a manufacturing company. A.1945 all the deck officers of ss Dalia were Bothie Boys: W. I then signed off and Safmarine, whose entire fleet consisted of three Victory ships, needed a Fourth Officer, and I signed on Vergelegen. Served as Pilot, Assistant Port Captaina nd Deputy Port Captain in Durban and eventually being appointed as Port Captain in Durban after Peter Cox, 1942/43, retired. 1984 left the sea and started a carpentry business but in 1985 joined Rennies as a supervisor, warehousing. 1955 obtained Extra Master’s and then taught for a year at Hull Trinity Navigation School before returning to South Africa to take over the Navigation School in Durban. 3rd November 1939 posted to the HMAMC Bulolo as Midshipman RNR. On completion with General Botha joined Andrew Weir and served in the Isipingo. I was building capacity within the company for a supposed 2 years but ended up spending 3years with this company before finally throwing in the towel and settling down in Cape Town. A marriage that lasted through 48 years ending only at Peggy’s passing in August 2009 after contracting Alzheimer’s Disease. Remained on Aloe for a further year as second mate, until she was sold to Greek interests. Promtoed to Walvis Bay as Pilot in 1966 returning to Durban in the same grade about three years later. Later joined the Department of Transport and retired in 1990 as Chief Surveyor and Examiner.1939 – Chief Cadet Captain the Genearl Botha. After 5 years with Noble Denton, Zakher Marine International requested me to join them as Special Projects Manager carrying out Strategic Corporate Development projects.Served with Silver Line Ltd before obtaining second officers Foreign Going in London in 1950. Served as Area Operations Manager in Port Elizabeth, Cape Town, Bloemfontein and Durban. and sailed on various vessels of the government departments of Environment Affiars and Conservation until 1991 when joined Portnet in Cape Town. Navy, completing his Bachelor of Military Science in 1964. Son of Henry Hugo Auret and Martha Elizabeth, nee Marais. Joined the Marines which was later transferred from the S. 2008 relocated to Singapore with an oil company and latterly in Australia. After Bothie sailed as Cadet with Union Castle Line, obtained Second Officer’s Certificate in 1946. July 2002 – Joined Smit Marine as a Loading Master based in Mossel Bay.1995 – Marine Surveyor with P&I Associates, Port of Richards Bay. 1999 – working for the World Food Program in Kenya, Tanzania and Mozambique based in Richard’s Bay. 2005 – moved to the Free State where he runs a B&B, Oude Werf. After marrying came ashore and went steeple jacking on the reef. After 14 years with SACD, latterly their Marketing Manager S. Container Depots Durban, started his own freight management company, RB Freight Management in 2003. Son of Anton Rector Kolbe Barry and Dorothy, nee Nankivel. He then enlisted with the RAF and was killed in an air operation on enemy shipping off the Island of Patmos in the Aegean Sea on the night of 2nd February 1944. Started his own busienss in the furniture industry and after a few months bought into a timber supply franchise. Worked as an electrician doing factory maintenance until about 1985, then self employed until about 2008. Wife got a job in Joburg so I moved to Joburg April 2014. After exploring the Windward Islands allowing their two sons to get through initial babyhood, the Briants continued their voyage 0to the States where they eventually sold Ying Hong. He moved to Durban in 1964 where he was tug master and then harbour pilot. Changed surname to Smith Joined Irvin & Johnson as a Cadet working through the ranks to become a Fishing Master based in Durban for the company. 2000 Operations Manager, Martrade London 2001 Operations Manager, Dry Bulk, Billiton Freight Trading, Holland. The Italian submarine which torpedoedt eh “Asturias” surrendered about a month later and was brought into Durban. Norm is one of 5 Fish Hoek boys who attended Bothie between 58 to 61.Came ashore in 1952 into a commercial career, ending up prior to retirement in 1989 as a Divisional General Manager in the Dunlop Group of companies. Transferred back to Cape Town in 1983 as Distribution Manager at Head Office and retired as Special Projects Manager in June 1993. Sailed with Unicorn Lines 1979 to 1985 followed by a period in 1985 with Barefoot Cruises in the Caribbean. Served on harbour tugs, assistant port captain and training officer. Served at sea in various frigates and smaller vessels and in 1969 was appointed to France for Submarine training with the French Navy. Then sailed with various companies including Court Line, Johnstone Warren Line, Headlams of Whitby, Safmarine, West Wales Shipping and Bullard King. 1996 – relocated to Beira as Manager of Lloyd’s Agency and P&I Associates / R. 2010 owns a glass company in Gauteng.‘Barney’ Barnardo enrolled at the General Botha from Clapham High School in Pretoria and on completion of his time at the college, joined Safmarine. 2011 GM of a logistics company in Ghana, with offices in Burkina Faso. 1997 moved to New Zealand and joined International Paper, an American Based company, who are huge in the timber and forest business, as their Logistics Analysist in sales and procurement. Thereafter sailed as Master with Sanko Line including three years as their Marine Superintendent based in Tokyo. Opened own business in August doing household repairs and maintenance.1961 – 63, Cadet with Clan Line. The family returned to0 South Africa in 1968 to settle in East London. In 1978 he became assistant port captain in Port Elizabeth and in 1983 he was made port captian of Ricahrd’s Bay. Deceasd 10/03/2001Previously sailed with Safmarine before joining Portnet, initially as Tug Master in Cape Town. Sailed with Unicorn Linesa and died in an accident at sea. Later returned to Cape Town participating on various fishing expeditions including Mount Vema and Tristan da Cuha. Has caught all species of prdouct which one obtains from the sea, from the “lowly” stock fish to finding the first prawn grounds off the Kwa-Zulu Natal and Mocambique coasts. Previously with Freight Marine Shipping as Ship’s agent and in 1997 with S. Dec 1951 – Jan 1960 Safmarine – Cadet to Chief Officer 1959 – Obtained Masters F. Certificate 1960 – 61 Dart & Howes in Export Department 1961 – joined Ellerman & Bucknall with whom appointed to Operations department Cape Town 1972 – 76 Assistant Branch Manager Durban 1976 – 83 Regional Manager Port Elizabeth 1983 – 90 General Manager Natal, Durban 1991 promoted Director of E&B, Cape Town August 1997 retired. I sailed with Safmarine from 1975 to 1982, inclusive, before deciding to look for greener pastures ashore. Post Bothie he completed a heavy engineering apprenticeship at the naval dockyard, Simonstown.In their filtration division, and was national sales manager when the company was liquidated (not my fault-honestly) I was employed by the liquidators for a year or so, until everything was wound up and was then offered a position with a franchise of the Pall Filtration Group, the Head Office being in Portsmouth U. A complete change of direction saw me in the garage door industry. After a further four years on the mines, John decided to call it a day and went into selling air-conditioning. Jacobus Adriaan Johannes Baard became an apprentice with the Runciman Shipping Company after completing his course on General Botha, obtaining his Second Mate’s certificate in 1941. Have done relief duties in Saldanha, Port Nolloth, Luderitz and m.v. 1982 – 87 – Pilot Walvis Bay 1987 – Pilot East London. After obtaining his Chief Officer’s Certificate FG with Safmarine did a BSc in computers in Grahamstown. Barham which capsized and sank within three and a half minutes after being struck by 3 torpedoes, 25/11/1941, “somehwere in the Mediterranean.” 865 officers and men went down with her. 12/1970 – 12/1975 – Supermarket Manager with Greatermans & Checkers. They have a married son with two daughters and a more recently married daughter with a son and daughter. David is now ‘almost’ 100% retired but still does the odd job looking after a real estate office while the owners take time off. These included the troopship Dilwara, moving troops mainly around the Mediterranean and taking part in the Suez fiasco; and the Kenya, where he held hands with Princess Margaret for approximately 2 seconds. 2004 returned to RSA as marketing and sales manager for Consumer Health with Janssen-Cilag. 2010 Moved to Boehringer Ingelheim as Consumer Health Care Head in RSA. 1973 – joined the Board of Executors to become Managing Director of their property companies. Served 5 years at sea with British India before attending Wits University, Economics and International Relations, 1964-68. 2007 retired, but continue to teach, do research and consultancy work. 1947 – 1950 – worked ashore in the Gypsum industry. President of Mensa Toronto after being chairman of Cape Town and Durban branches of Mensa. Also, similar to me, he wet to sea as a midshipman R. At the end of the Second World War he transferred to the S. For a time he was also a principal aide to Evan Campbell, the former High Commissioner for Rhodesia in the UK and travelled with him on Tobacco Industry promotional visits, mainly to the Far East.

The Wispeco Group has a policy of compulsory retirement at 65, they put up with me until 69 and a policy reshuffle saw the rule enforced. He enjoyed his sport and was selected for Western Transvaal and Griqualand hockey, as well as Transvaal spear fishing. 1992 – took part in first race Kersey to San Sebastian, Spain, to celebrate the traditional skills of Ocean Navigation. Son of Jacobus Adriaan Johannes Baard and Huibrecht Gertruida Christina, nee Dippenaar. He then joined the RAF and received his training in the USA, Canada and Engalnd, obtaining his wings in September 1943. Then moved to Swakopmund in Namibia where he worked on an uranuim mine for about 9 yaers. After Bothie apprenticed to British and Continental (S. Also worked for Tongaat Sugar in an engineering capacity and at one stage found himself at sea as a second engineer. 01/1976 – 02/1977 – Owner/Manager of Durbanville “Wimpy Bar? David and Julia have lived down in the south western corner of Western Australia at a small place called Dunsborough (25 kilometres south of Perth) for 15 years and fully believe they live in a paradise of beaches, wineries and good friends. ships and obtained Chief Officer’s Certificate, came ashore and joined Holland Afrika Agenyc. A particular fascination for Chinese Junks and a love of the Far East propelled him to join the China Navigation Company, where he served in the South China Sea and Western Pacific for five glorious and sybaritic years. 2013 Moved to Poland as Divisional Consumer Health Care Head still with BI.1949 – Joined a firm of Chartered Accountants as an Audit Clerk. 1980 – self employed as an Investment Property Broker. Have written a few academic books and focuses most of his time on social health matters. DFebruary 1943 – Cadet with Thesens September 1943 – Deck Boy with SAR Ships. May 1950 – joined Department of Sea Fisheries as an Able Seaman September 1950 – promoted to Chief Officer, 7 years, and Master for 2 years. Before finally retiring Keith moved from Johannesburg to Cape Town and ultimately settled at Silvermine Village, Noordhoek. In 1933 Frank Stilwell Coburn became an apprentice with Messrs.

1969 to 1971 joined the defence sales organsiation. Deceased 12/03/96After leaving the General Botha went back to school for one year. 1947 started a camping and caravan hire business before forming the Port Elizabeth Express Delivery Service and P E Storage Company which he ran for 30 years. In 1959 I joined Smiths Coasters until August of the same year, then like many a better man before me I was lured away from my maritime endeavours by a young maiden of considerable charm. When Maury retired he was the Director responsible for Consumer Marketing at Mobil S A. He was confirmed in the Anglican Church (The Rec Hall) by the famous Bishop Lavis of Cape Town. Joined Portnet in 1970, served as Mate and Master on the Harbour Tugs in Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. Was one of the sea cadets that sailed the TS General Botha (previously the HMS Thames) from the United Kingdom to South Africa in 1921. 1996 established a tourist resort in Binga, on Lake Kariba, Zimbabwe. 1987 moved to Durban as Marine Personnel Manager for Safmarine. Navy as Confidential Books Officer in a civilian capacity. Son of Bertram Edward Claydon Fink and Blanche Muriel. It was mid-day and with the exception of a few memebrs of the crew, all were having lunch.

1971 left the Royal navy and joined a ship building firm as their sales director. The next 3 years was spent with the Goldfields Mining Group as an underground official (read Learner Official/Shift Boss). Somewhere along the way I joined Round Table until they evicted me at age 40, as they tend to do. Fourie (Cadet Number 56) who were all apprenticed in January 1924. John Andrews came to the General Botha from the Boys’ High School in Potchefstroom, making his mark at the Bothie as a boxer, winning the junior extra heavyweight title in the l954 Schools Amateur Boxing Championship. In SATS General Botha he was known as Maurice Walter Beiles No. He reportedly changed his name to Bassett shortly after completing his two years. After leaving the Botha, he served his apprenticeship with Union Castle Line and returned to them after passing his second mates, serving as a fourth officer in the Winchester Castle then onward and upward, passing his mates and serving as third officer and then second officer in the Union Castle fruit ships. 1978 apointed Harbour Pilot in Walvis Bay and in 1982 in Port Elizabeth. 2004 appointed Chief Harbour Master for National Port Authority. He went on to become a master mariner serving in various vessels. He was one of only four Defence Force personnel ever to be awarded the van Riebeeck Medal [VRM]. 1988 switched to marketing and sales with Safmarine before leaving shipping and moving into the Pharmaceutical industry in October ’88 as a sales representative with Glaxo. Decorations: Bronze long service, 1939/45 Star Atlantic Star, Pacific Star war medal. Those who were on deck and were thrown into the sea, were rescued, but Royston Arthur Claydon Fink was not one of the survivors; and his death due to drowning was presumed on 16th April 1945.

At the end of 1964 the travel bug bit and spent the next 4 years travelling and doing too many different jobs to enumerate, amongst them a Butlins Holiday Camp Red Coat (Bag man) and a test driver for MIRA (Motor industrial research) I think their philosophy was that if you could drive on South African roads you could drive anywhere. Had a lot of fun and met some wonderful people along the way. In 1957 he met his wife to be, Gloria and moved to Carletonville where, while studying for a mine captain’s certificate, he was posted to Western Deep Level as shift boss. Last in the tug line was the ‘Bart Grove Shuttle’ which I enjoyed but compared to a voith, well one does get spoilt. Was first class boy Petty Officer and obtained first class certificates in both scholastic and seamanship ta the final examinations of the S. 10/1968 – 06/1969 – Second Officer with Durban Lines. In 1965 he moved into insurance and in 1968 into real estate – and that became his lifetime work. Served three years as a cadet but left in Durban to join Crown Mines in Johannesburg. One of many from Rondebosch Boys’ High, ‘Mozwate’ (later ‘The Junkman’) Briant attended the General Botha and while there became the tenor drummer in the band and attained the dizzy heights of badge cadet. 1990 2002 stayed in the Johannesburg in the Pharmaceutical Industry but moved into marketing (with first Glaxo and thereafter Janssen-Cilag). Various positions, including retail manager for Central African territories, leaving in 1968 as Real Estate Manager. Then worked for pharmaceutical companies until moving to Canada in 1998 where he worked in the IT industry, 2005 TLE Manager for Wal-Mart. Around about that time he was also Honorary Secretary of the Cape Town Branch of the General Botha Old Boys Association, successfully helping its early development.

On my return in ’68, I got married and joined the fledgling Penguin-Poolquip Group as a rep. Left Pall in 1994 as travelling and being away from home was interfering with domestic bliss, a bit too late and I received my independence a couple of days before the rest of the country became a democracy. In November 1961 he and Gloria were married in Krugersdorp and they moved back to Klerksdorp to start a family, which eventually resulted in two daughters, Bev and Cheryl. I then understudied on the Dredger ‘Ribbok’ and took over as Master in 1986. 06/1969 – 09/1970 – Chief Officer with Unicorn Lines. In 1963 David met Julia Davison in Perth and they married soon after. On leaving the Botha he joined the British India Steam Navigation Company as cadet, serving in 13 of their ships over three years. 2002 Moved to Basel, Switzerland as a Global Brand Manager with Novartis. Whereafter returned to accounting and later commerce. 1968 – joined Estate Agency, Syfrets Trust Co, Ltd, Advancing to Property Sales Manager. as a Community Development Worker for 12 years and teaches as a specialist in the subject at the University of Wales. Was also a volunteer with the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary as a Captain. Submitted by Michael Linck: “Keith was a great guy and one who favoured maintaining high standards, albeit personally remaining quietly in the background.. Like me, both he and I were General Botha 1941/2 vintage. and served on cruisers of the East Indies and British Pacific Fleets. Subsequently he held positions with both Imperial Tobacco and Mobil Oil, both in secretarial and accountancy roles.

Seconded to the Mediterranean Fleet for the Sicilian landings in July 1943 and the invasion of Italy in August after which rejoined the Far East fleet in Tricomalee Sri Lanka. 1953 – 1987 Superintendent with Royal Interocean Lines and Nedlloyd Lines, Durban, until retirement in 1987. On returning to the UK in 2008, he accepted a two year construction contract in Bahrain. Thereafter had his own business, Auer Sepcialist Contractors, until 1999 when relocated to New Zealand. During the war he enlisted and served in the Royal Natal Carbineers. On leaving the Botha he returned to George and was tragically killed in a car accident on the Outeniqua Pass a few weeks later, 1955.1996 in Singapore working for a line management company as their Operations Manager for South East Asia. Moved up to General Manager of Boland Wine & Brandy (Paarl). 1982 – 84 – Second Officer with Safmarine and Mobil Shipipng. Bayley failed his Board of Trade eyesight test and was thus precluded from serving at sea as a deck officer. In the Second World War he was awarded the Military Cross [MC] for his actions in the Sidi Rezegh tank battles [ late November 1941]. Thereafter has gained 18 years oilfield experience consisting of 8 years on Jack-ups as Master/Barge Engineer, Jack Man, Rig Mover and Towmaster. On lighter note, he and his wife Jayne gave their names to two superb “quaffable” delights – “Raoul’s Rustic Red” and “Jayne’s Walker Bay White” – both great marketing successes. Remained until retirement in 1989 as Chief Traffic Inspectorate of Ciski Government after being seconded there to form the Ciski Traffic Department. Later returned to sea with Smith Coasters and obtained Masters Certificate Joine S. Arriving in Durban, Colin left to resume a normal life while Mike met his crew for life, Paddy (nee Patricia Mast). Appointed a Director of World Wide Shipping Agency on the 1st of January 1994. Obtained Chief Engineer’s Certificate followed by a B. Returned to SA Railways & Harbours before joining SA Airways.