These beautiful homes still standing on west Welsh Road, just east of where Grant Avenue now meets Welsh Road. Knights Mill on Poquessing Creek was the oldest mill on the creek dating back to 1750. Most neighborhoods in the 1900's had baseball teams. This was a Tom Thumb Wedding held at Somerton Methodist Church in March 1918. Children took on identities of the local residents.
These Quaker settlers and the Indians were quite friendly.By 1800 there were 579 inhabitants in Byberry, growing to 1055 by 1840.A store, Post Office, Blacksmith Shop and a Carpenter Shop were located near the meeting House."Thornton Abbey Home of James Thornton, 1750 minister of the Society of Friends.Home was on west side of Thornton Road south of Byberry Road.Through the years Byberry was enlarged to include many different neighbor- hoods.
Small communities like Mechanicsville, Parkwood Manor, Modena Park, Millbrook, Crestmont Farms, Morrell Park and West Torresdale all were part of Byberry Township.
Located west side of Bustleton Pike, north of Fulmer Street. Looking north where Bustleton Pike and Welsh Road overlap for a block. A pre-revolutionary war building became an arsenal during the same war. Farms were part of Byberry since the Hospital was started in 1908 by the city.
Notice early electric street lights from before 1900. It was rebuilt in 1815 and today is near the site of Creek Edge Nurseries. Byberry Farms were on the east side of Roosevelt Boulevard, north of Southhampton Road.
Hayride for young children from Lower Dublin Baptist Church. This was one of the many social activities of that time. This is the third school in Somerton Built 1892, Watson Comly Public School. Erwin, Adam Mc Lean, William Quigley, Co IIins, Baers and now Brittinghams. This log house was built in 1734 and stood until about 1918. People have good memories of this hotel even into the 1950s when they held auctions under the horse sheds.
Now the site of the Fraternal Order of Police House. East side of Bustleton Pike, north of Trevose Road. Washington House Hotel First seen on a 1887 Atlas map.
The trades people represented in this small town were carpenters, wheelwrights, masons, storekeepers, machinists, butchers, saddlers and harness makers.