Weston super mare dating
Although the beach itself is sandy, low tide uncovers areas of thick mud, hence the colloquial name, Weston-super-Mud.
The Pigott family of Brockley, who were the local Lords of the Manor, had a summer residence at Grove House.though a stump of the medieval preaching cross survives by the exterior south wall.The former rectory is a 17th-century structure with later additions.Mining families also came across the Bristol Channel from South Wales by paddle steamer.To cater for them, Birnbeck Pier was completed in 1867, offering in its heyday amusement arcades, tea rooms, amusement rides and a photographic studio.It includes the suburbs of Oldmixon, West Wick and Worle. Although there is evidence in the local area of occupation since the Iron Age, it was still a small village until the 19th century when it became a seaside resort, and was connected with local towns and cities by a railway, and two piers were built.
The growth continued until the second half of the 20th century, when tourism declined and some local industries closed.
Along with nearby Burnham-on-Sea, Weston benefited from proximity to Bristol, Bath and South Wales.
The first attempt at an artificial harbour was made in the late 1820s at the islet of Knightstone and a slipway built from Anchor Head towards Birnbeck Island.
Semi-detached and terraced housing was built on the low "moorland" behind the sea front in an area known as South Ward.
Many of these houses have now been converted into bedsits.
Only Lads is a great place to meet gay and bisexual guys in Weston-super-Mare.